Friday, November 23, 2007

Gmail & Mail.app - the right way

I was getting a bit sick of firing up Parallels just to do email and GTD in Outlook, so today I thought I'd give Apple Mail another look.

I had already set up Gmail IMAP in Mail, but it was more than a little clunky, and I was a bit worried about what happened when I pressed "Delete".

I Googled around a bit and found these tips, which as far as I can tell iron out all the problems. To save you following the link, here's what you do:

  1. Set up Gmail IMAP according to Google's instructions
  2. Open Mail Preferences
  3. In General, set Dock unread count to Inbox Only
  4. In Accounts, select your Gmail account and set IMAP Path Prefix to "[Gmail]"
  5. In Composing, set Create Notes & To Do's in to On My Mac (notes & to do's really don't work with IMAP - don't even try)
  6. Close Mail Preferences
  7. From the menu bar turn on View > Organize by Thread if you haven't already
  8. Select the All Mail mailbox, then from the menu bar select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Trash (this makes the Delete button in the toolbar work like Archive in Gmail)
  9. Repeat for the Spam mailbox - use it for Junk
  10. Repeat for the Drafts mailbox - use it for Drafts
  11. Repeat for the Sent mailbox - use it for Sent

That's it! Now Mail will essentially work just like the Gmail web UI, with one disappointing exception: when new messages arrive for existing conversations, Mail doesn't show the previous messages of the conversation in the Inbox, so you have to scroll through the reverse-order quoted text like a moron. I wonder if there's a way to use the Rules option to do this automatically... dunno.

1 comment:

  1. My "disappointing exception" may not be completely true - I just saw an email in my Inbox that was a reply to a reply... anyway although my reply wasn't there, the original email that I had replied to was!

    I need to do some more testing and find out what was different that time.

    ReplyDelete